The position is in the department “Electric Engineering and Energy Technology” which is part of the Faculty of Engineering Sciences. The candidate will work in the interdisciplinary research group MOBI. MOBI is a leader in electromobility research and socio-economic evaluations for sustainable mobility and logistics. It has an enthusiastic, international and multidisciplinary team of over 65 specialists. Over the past 5 years the group participated in 21 EU projects, 59 projects with the industry and 61 projects funded by national organizations.
6 new European project proposals have been accepted by the European Commission in the framework of the Green Vehicle initiative, opening up opportunities to join our team
The LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) team of MOBI develops in-house its own Sustainability Evaluation and Optimization Framework to identify and assess the opportunities for the entire automotive sector to lower the environmental, economic and societal impacts caused by the development and implementation of new vehicle technologies, components, materials and policy measures.
More info on: http://mobi.vub.ac.be/mobi/research-tool/lca/
MOBI wants to strengthen its LCA team by hiring two PhD candidates that will work on several European projects. The research projects are situated in the domain of electro-mobility and renewable energy. The candidate will be responsible for performing the research on the life cycle perspectives of the project considering the environmental, social, and economic aspects.
Topics that are addressed in the projects:
- Vehicle-to-Grid services with electric vehicles;
- Next generation high energy density lithium battery developments;
- Second-life traction batteries for grid services;
- Electrification of Heavy-Duty Vehicles.
- Development of evaluation techniques and models
- Writing research reports and scientific articles
- Presenting research at (international) seminars and conferences
- Coach thesis students
- Occasional teaching
The candidate should have
- a Master Degree in Engineering, Environmental or Computer sciences with a strong interest in electric mobility and sustainability;
- good communication skills in English (speaking and writing);
- ability to work both in a team and independently;
- a proactive attitude in the projects (s)he is involved in;
- willingness to attend project meetings and conferences abroad.
- 1 year scholarship (can be extended up to a total of 4 years);
- Dynamic, international and multi-lingual work environment in a green oasis in Brussels;
- Hospitalization cover;
- Free use of public transport for travel to and from work;
- Extensive sporting facilities and a nursery on campus.
Envisaged starting date: 01/09/2017
Please send CV, academic transcripts and at least one reference to:
Dr. Maarten Messagie
Team leader Life Cycle Assessment