The candidate will carry out research at the MOBI research centre (mobi.vub.ac.be) and contribute to the interdisciplinary domains of transport, sustainability and socio-economic assessment. The research and approach will be entirely embedded within the research projects of MOBI in line with the skills and knowledge background of the candidate. The goal is to complete a PhD degree based on a project that concerns simulation modelling and external cost calculations. The researcher will also provide support to other projects that are in line with his/her skills.
• The candidate will carry out research in the domains of sustainable logistics, transport modelling and external costs evaluations.
• The candidate will work on the DISpATch (Digital twIn for SynchromodAl Transport) project which involves the VUB, KU Leuven, UHasselt and VIL. The objective of DISpATch is to develop a platform to provide a testbed for synchromodal transport by means of a Digital Twin (= a virtual environment that mirrors the real physical system).
• She/he will program simulations in Anylogic software and extend MOBI’s SYMBIT model
• She/he will write research reports and valorise research results in popular and academic publications.
• She/he will present research results at workshops and conferences.
• She/he will contribute to public dissemination activities.
• She/he will organise workshops and conferences in line with the requirements of her/his research project.
The candidate should have:
• A Master’s Degree in Transportation, Transport Planning, Urban planning, Urban Studies, Economics, Geography, Management, Commercial engineer (Handelsingenieur), Political science, Sustainable Development, Sociology or related discipline.
• Interest in mobility and socio-economic assessments with strong quantitative methodological skills.
• Good quantitative research skills are required.
• A creative mind.
• Strong oral and written communication in English is essential. Knowledge of Dutch is well appreciated.
• The ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of partners.
• Good time management and planning skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
• Experience in Java programming and Anylogic software, or a strong interest to learn.
• Additional software (SPSS, GIS, Python, MATLAB) or other statistics and coding language skills are a plus.
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Both our campuses are set within green oases on the outskirts of the centre of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. This centre, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by public transport in under half an hour.
Depending on your experience and academic merits you will receive a salary on one of the pay scales laid down by the government. Hospitalisation cover and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that. Both campuses have extensive sporting facilities which are at your disposal and a nursery is within walking distance.
More information is available at www.vub.ac.be under the heading ‘future employees’.
• Planned starting date: September 2019
• Deadline of application: 01/04/2019
• Length of contract: 1 year (renewable)
All applications must be sent via VUBTalentfinder
All applications must at least include the following attachments:
• a brief CV
• comprehensive details of academic portfolio
• teaching and research perception
• a concise statement of the reason for applying including an explanation about the development of future research