The candidate will carry out research at the research centre MOBI and contribute to the interdisciplinary domains of transport, sustainability and socio-economic assessment. The research and approach will be entirely embedded within the research projects of MOBI in line with the skills and knowledge background of the candidate. The goal is to complete a PhD.
- The candidate will carry out research in the domains of sustainable logistics, transport modelling and external costs evaluations.
- The candidate will initially work on the Logistics Sustainability Index project of VIL, which aims to develop an index to assess and stimulate sustainable logistics practices.
- She/he will write research reports and valorise research results in popular and academic publications.
- She/he will present research results at workshops and conferences.
- She/he will contribute to public dissemination activities.
- She/he will organise workshops and conferences in line with the requirements of her/his research project.
The candidate should have:
- A Master’s Degree in Transportation, Transport Planning, Urban planning, Urban studies, Economics, Geography, Management, Commercial engineer (Handelsingenieur), Political science, Sustainable Development, Sociology or related discipline.
- Interest in mobility and socio-economic assessments with strong qualitative methodological skills.
- Good quantitative research skills are required.
- Strong oral and written communication in English is essential, good knowledge of Dutch and French is an advantage.
- The ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of partners.
- Good time management and planning skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel and java programming
- Additional software (i.e. SPSS, GIS, MATLAB, etc.), solid statistics and coding language skills are also a plus.
Candidates that have not yet acquired their MSc degree can apply and participate in the selection procedure, but need to offer proof of registration in their Masters programme and need to have complied with all diploma requirements before starting their position at VUB-MOBI.
Candidates that have not yet acquired their MSc degree can apply and participate in the selection procedure but need to offer proof of registration in their MSc programme and need to have complied with all diploma requirements before starting their position at VUB.
No appointment for a period of more than 12 months (cumulated) as a teaching and/or research assistant via a university’s operational funding (werkingsmiddelen).
The start of the doctoral scholarship is subject to the registration as a doctoral student at the university.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Both our campuses are set within green oases on the outskirts of the centre of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. This centre, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by public transport in under half an hour.
Depending on your experience and academic merits you will receive a salary on one of the pay scales laid down by the government. Hospitalisation cover and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that. Both campuses have extensive sporting facilities which are at your disposal and a nursery is within walking distance.
More information is available at www.vub.ac.be under the heading ‘future employees’.
- Planned starting date: as soon as possible
- Length of contract: 1 year (renewable)
Applications can be sent by mail to Koen Mommens: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must at least include the following attachments:
- a brief CV
- comprehensive details of academic portfolio
- teaching and research perception, mentioning the candidate’s five most important publications
- a concise statement of the reason for applying including explanation about the development of future research